Shareholder Jenny Beaujean sent me this great link on the top 10 ways to prepare kale. You will be seeing more greens in your CSA share, they grow well in the cool temperatures. Swiss chard, turnip greens, collard greens, escarole, arugala, mizuna, tatsoi, radicchio, spinach – all can be used in place of the kale in recipes below.
10 Ways to Prepare Kale
- Kale Chips – This simple preparation of kale will have you begging for more. A crispy salty treat that is better than popcorn or potato chips.
- Kale Pesto – More flavorful than basil pesto, this is a great addition to pizza, pasta, or in an omelet.
- Sauteed Kale – For a hearty side dish, this is a classic preparation. I saute onions and garlic before I add the kale, and add a couple dashes of hot sauce for an added kick.
- Kale Quiche – You can substitute any spinach quiche with kale and it offers the same great taste with the added health benefits.
- Kale Soup – A classic kale soup is made with white beans and ham or sausage, however I like this recipe of using acorn squash and kale to create a sweet and savory winter favorite.
- Kale Lasagna – The perfect “make ahead” recipe for a hearty dinner is a dish the whole family can enjoy.
- Kale Juice – If you own a juicer, kale is quite possibly the healthiest thing to juice. Mix it with apples, carrot and a little lemon for a drink that is better for you than liquid gold.
- Kale Slaw – You can substitute raw kale for raw cabbage in this recipe.
- Kale Pasta – One of my favorite ingredients to add to pasta. Goes with just about anything from spaghetti to sausage pasta to baked macaroni and cheese.
- Kale Pizza – One of the joys I’ve found with eating seasonally is changing up my grilled pizza toppings. One of my favorite combinations is sauteed kale, caramelized onions, strong white cheeses, and some crispy bacon.
Let us know which is your favorite way to cook up kale or other fall greens!