I made this for a dinner party last year, unfortunately we all had filled up on appetizers and didn’t end up eating much of it that night, but that did let me find out that it tastes even better the next day!
Preheat Oven to 400F
- 1 lb of swiss chard, blanched and coarsly chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic divided, chopped
- 8-16oz of sliced baby bella mushrooms (depending on how much you like mushrooms)
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 Tbs oil
- 32oz of ricotta cheese
- 1 bag of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 16oz of your favorite tomato sauce (I used some I canned using Moriane’s awesome tomatos from last year, I’ll be posting on how to can tomatoes later on)
- 1 box of lasagna noodles cooked (or if you’re short on time you can use the oven ready kind)
Heat 2 Tbs of oil in saute pan on medium heat, add onion and2 cloves of garlic, and cook until onion is translucent, add the swiss chard, reduce to medium low.
In another pan, saute the mushrooms, remaining garlic and nutmeg. This saute locks in the mushrooms flavor, no need for oil as the mushrooms will “sweat” and release some water, just give them a minute.
Layer the lasagna in your 9×13 pan as follows—noodles, 1/2 swiss chard, 1/2 mushrooms, 1/2 sauce, 1/2 ricotta, a little mozz, noodles, chard, mushrooms, sauce, ricotta, rest of mozz.
Bake at 400F for 30 min or when knife inserted into the center comes out warm to the touch. After it is baked and fully cooled you could also freeze and reheat at a later date for a quick weeknight meal. I would recommend defrosting it in the fridge the morning you would like to serve it and then baking at 350 for 45min or so to re-heat.